Thursday, January 14, 2010

Gadd's Endless Ascent

Will Gadd just climbed more ice in 24 hours than I will in my lifetime (actually, given the limited climbing I do and the extended link-ups he does, this probably isn't the first time). Ended up being 196 laps on on 40-meter (131 feet) Pic of the Vic in Ouray. By my math, that's over 25,700 feet of vertical ice in 24 hours. Eight pitches per hour for 24 hours. Yikes! That's just about an 8000m peak from sea level, all straight up. No placing pro, no belaying, no swinging leads, just climb and lower, climb and lower, climb and lower. Definitely impressive, but even better for the rest of us, it sounds like he's gonna give some careful thought to what worked and what didn't on his blog. The first installment lists the damage. Nothing permanent, just blisters, lost fingernails and overtrained muscles and tendons, but it will be interesting to see what he has to say about nutrition, training and gear.

This is actually just one big monomodal WOD: As Many Rounds As Possible in 24 hours - climb 130 feet WI4. I've thought about this type of thing before. Long extended undurance efforts in a CrossFit style for depletion days. Like, instead of AMRAP:20, something like AMRAP:daylight or AMRAP:darkness, or even AMRAP:24 hours.

SOUNDTRACK: Bladder Bladder Bladder's Designated Drinking Driver . I know next to nothing about this band or this song. This song is stuck in my head since I listened to it this afternoon during my "workout." It gave me a powerful thirst for some beer, I do know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment