Friday, January 7, 2011

Crossfitter's guide to State College: Gyms (addendum 1)

Now that I finally put together my CrossFitter's Guide to State College; I need to correct it. We DO have an affiliate as of JAN 2011: CrossFit Nittany. It's being run by a State High grad who's been CrossFitting for a number of years out in Arizona and California. It's currently associated with the Downtown Athletic Clubs II (which is funny because I ranked that place as 6th worst of the 7 gyms in the area) for now, but I personally would expect that they won't be there too long unless the gym itself changes significantly (which is possible and much needed). It's been my experience that the business model and motivations of the typical gym and gym goer simply don't gel very well with the desires of the CrossFit trainers or the needs of their athletes.

But anyway, Good Luck CrossFit Nittany! I hope it will bring together a community of like-minded athletes right here in Happy Valley.

As an aside, Bryan has the good sense to link to Dave Seasholtz's "Central Pennsylvania Outdoor Sports" page right away. A great resource for all of us here that like to get out in the outdoors and play. I've been checking in there alot lately as I'm headed out to explore some PA ice for the first time this weekend.

SOUNDTRACK: For me, NOFX and iceclimbing are linked. It's probably because NOFX is where a regular ice partner and I first found some common musical ground between techno and punk (I admit I was a little worried when he threw his gear in the truck at a NJ Turnpike rest stop for a planned weekend-long trip up to the Cats and mentioned he mainly listened to techno and used to DJ alot). So you probably think the playlist is a NOFX song, but it's not. Because when I was packing up tonight I was shuffling through the ipod and a great Butt Trumpet song came on and it's been stuck in my head every since. And the reason I bring it up at all is because if you google "NOFX Butt Trumpet" (don't ask WHY anyone would do this) the fourth link or so after the lyrics and a sales offers is a Climbing Magazine story which confirms my thesis that both NOFX AND Butt Trumpet go really well with climbing.

Butt Trumpet's "I've Been so Mad Lately" off the LP Primitive Enema. Umm.... this song is not exactly rated "G".

No comments:

Post a Comment