Sunday, December 13, 2009

CrossFit for Outdoor Athletes


World renown ice climber Will Gadd, who literally wrote the book on modern ice climbing techniques and who is currently training for an 'endless ascent' 24 straight hours of vertical ice climbing at Ouray, finally got around to giving CrossFit the "full-on committed" effort for 3 months. He comments on what he's learned on his blog. I'm currently working through the back catalog of his blog, and I pay special attention when truly world-class athletes give CrossFit a shot and are kind enough to comment. In general he was surprised by his strength, fitness, and mass gains but has a few minor critiques that are worth considering if you're a climber and like to get outside and get after it.

The herniated disk feel much better today than yesterday. I can sneeze without debilitating, excruciating pain, for instance. During breakfast I commented, "This is exactly the time when I typically overdo it and hurt myself worse." Still... by lunch I was planning on going out and having a go at a strict pull-up/hangboard workout. I think it's wiser to just let it heal for a few more days.


IMAGE: The image is one of my favorites "Will Gadd on Aweber" by Christian Pondella , who as tons of great pics on his website. That ice has got to be rock hard.
soundtrack: NOFX "What's the matter with kids today?" Great question I think of often as a dad, but, even if I do love GG Allin (and tried to visit his grave!), do I want my daughter to "drink and fuck and fight?" Probably. Eventually. When I'm dead (or rather, over my dead body).

No comments:

Post a Comment